Brothers Alex and JP are founders of Allplants
Although it’s usually nicer to cook from scratch, sometimes you may wish to order food in. You may be unwell or caring for someone. Or busy. Or even on holiday. Ordering food delivery obviously is more expensive. But you can get creative. Most of these companies send food frozen. So just thaw and cook, then eat half the amount, filling up with potatoes and veggies. Then eat the other half the next day. This way you still get all the benefits, at half the price – and also eat lots of fresh produce.
These companies have been carefully chosen, to be as sustainable as possible. A few items may still use plastic or the odd palm oil product, so do your research before ordering, and recycle anything that’s left.
There are basically two types of vegan delivery companies, many of both are listed below. The first is the old-school (send prepared frozen meals to your door). This is the easiest but obviously more expensive. You normally just throw everything in the freezer.
The second (and increasingly popular and more affordable option) is to order meal kits. These tend to contain the base ingredients with recipe cards. So say you were making a curry: you may receive pre-portioned lentils and spices and a recipe card, then pop down the farmer’s market to get the other ingredients (cauliflower, fresh herbs etc).
Most food delivery orders come frozen. Ice packs are toxic to pets and children, so dispose of safely after delivery. Some of these meals contain desserts and spices (toxic to pets). So if you live with furry friends, use a letterbox guard, to stop nosey paws getting to the food.
Vegan Meal Delivery in the USA
- Purple Carrot offers meal kits with recipe cards, so you can order homemade meals, but at less cost than ready-made. You can order main meal suppers, breakfast and lunch too.
- Veestro offers super-healthy ready meals delivered to your door. Ready in 5 minutes with no chopping or prepping required. Harry Connick Jr’s a fan, particularly of their Breakfast Burrito. Everything is made fresh from organic ingredients by top chefs. You can change your meals, pause delivery or cancel anytime.
- Vegin’ Out (California) delivers nationwide. Each weekly menu is prepared by top chefs and includes meals you just open up and eat. Not available in Alaska or Hawaii.
- Hungryroot is an easy-to-use custom service. Just tell what you want (vegan, gluten-free etc) and they will pick groceries and recipes, and send them to your door. The modern way to shop. They only carry brands that carry their standards for nutrition and taste.
- Green Chef offers a plant-based powered option on their meal delivery service. With a new menu each week, each box contains organic ingredients, prepped sauces and a recipe card, in thoughtful packaging.
- Sakara offers nutritionally balanced meals to your door. The kits includes fresh meals, teas, supplements and support. Menus rotate weekly.
Vegan Meal Delivery in Canada
- GoVeg Meal Kits has no subscription with an average price of $3 per kit, so it’s very affordable. The Full Meal Deal Box has 84 servings averaging $2.82 per serving, including all grocery costs. One box can last 1 person for 12 days, 2 people for 6 days or 4 people for 3 days (includes muffin mix, meal and snack kits and four drinks kits).
- Planted Meals make meals that can save you $100 a month, if you regularly eat out in restaurants. These meals are packed in compostable sugar containers, so you don’t have to worry about landfill.
- Plant Prepped delivers pre-measured ingredients and gourmet recipes to your door. There are gluten-free and soy-options available, and most ingredients are organic and local, from small producers.
- Vegan On The Go (Toronto) creates 5 delicious meals each week, which are delivered to your door, from fresh chef-prepared ingredients.
Vegan Meal Delivery in the UK
- Allplants is a major food delivery service, offering fantastic meals. The company was founded by two brothers who offer homemade meals by expert chefs, in mostly sustainable packaging. Just build your box from 22 meals, get flexible delivery and cancel anytime. Try it out then save 12% on regular subscriptions.
- Vibrant Vegan delivers healthy plant-based meals to your door. Pick 6 tasty meals of your choice, and have them delivered within a few days. The boxes are thoughtfully designed to fit your lifestyle: protein power, Chef’s choice, low-cal, slow-burner or gluten-free.
- Vegan Apron offers taste-tested kids meals, ready in 25 to 45 minutes. These meal kits send you ingredients, to make the meals yourself at home. You can batch cook and freeze, if wished. Each box includes seasonal foods, 5 to 7 easy vegan recipes, a free desserts all wrapped in sustainable packaging (and they donate leftovers to food banks).
- Planty (London) sends 6, 8 or 10 meals prepared by their chefs, to your door. Each meal serves 1 person, so this is a good option if you eat or cook alone. Founder Joe is a chef who has worked at top Michelin-starred restaurants.
Vegan Meal Delivery in Ireland
Kayla’s Kitchen creates homemade meals and delivers them in different portion sizes, to your door. The company is not vegan, but there are 6 vegan options to choose from.
Vegan Meal Delivery in Australia
Soulara sends healthy meals from local Aussie ingredients and superfoods direct to your door. The rotating menu (designed by chefs and nutritionists) rotates fortnightly. Other Aussie companies are:
- Galaxy Vegan
- The Garden of Vegan
- Lavana Wholefoods (Melbourne)
- Dinner Twist & The Nourish Box (meal kits)
Vegan Meal Delivery in New Zealand
New Zealand has several vegan meal delivery services:
- The Kai Box
- Prep Plant Based Meals
- V on Wheels
- The Whole Meal
- Fit Food
- Green Dinner Table (Christchurch)